- 1st round: May 15th, Notification June 1st
2nd round: July 1st, Notification July 15th
UbiComp/ISWC 2023 is featuring a special program called ASSET (Americas Student Symposium on Emerging Technologies) as part of SIGMOBILE’s student outreach program. Student participating to ASSET will be divided into small groups and each group will be provided with an excellent and dynamic research mentor who will help them hone their research skills.
Students accepted into the ASSET program will participate to the pre-conference ASSET Symposium, and will receive full financial support to attend UbiComp/ISWC 2023.
In particular, ASSET is designed to help students improve their research skills in four ways:
- Improve students’ ability to present their ideas in written form by working on and continuously improving a 1-page summary of their research plan ⇒ This will improve their ability to write research papers
- Improve students’ ability to present their ideas by offering each participant the opportunity to present their research ideas in the form of a poster at the main conference poster presentation session ⇒ This will improve their ability to raise other researchers’ interest in their research work when they are given time to present the details
- Improve students’ ability to present a quick 30s summary (aka “elevator pitch”) of their research by asking each participant to summarize their research to their research mentor every day ⇒ This will improve their ability to convince people that their research ideas are worth listening to!
- Improve students’ ability to understand and appreciate world class research by attending the talks and presentations at UbiComp/ISWC and interacting with the UbiComp/ISWC attendees (a “who’s who” of Ubiquitous and Wearable Computing researchers from around the world!) ⇒ This will spark new ideas and collaborations with students, faculty, and industry researchers from top universities and companies located around the world. It will also energize students’ desire to conduct world class research while being immersed in a world class research environment for the entire ASSET stay.
We are co-locating ASSET with UbiComp/ISWC as it is the premier research conference for Ubiquitous and Wearable Computing research. As such, world-class researchers from all the top universities and industry research labs (e.g. Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc.) will attend. In addition, many graduate students from around the world will also attend making this a perfect venue to start collaborative research with like-minded research individuals.
This will be the 4th incarnation of ASSET with the first two being in Asia, and the last two in Latin America.
The huge success of previous versions has given us the drive to continue running ASSET and UbiComp/ISWC being held in Mexico was a perfect opportunity to do so.
How to attend ASSET?
Slots are limited to just 20 graduate student participants (preference given to Ph.D. students) — preferably from Mexico, Central, and South America. Interested graduate students should submit their request via this online form by the deadline. We ask students to provide:
- 1 page CV
- 1 page research statement
- A short explanation (a few sentences) for why you want to attend ASSET and how it will benefit you (please note the selection criteria below and provide answers accordingly)
- A support letter from your advisor explaining why they think you will benefit from ASSET
Deadline to submit ASSET applications is May 15th and July 1st. Notification of acceptance and travel support is June 1st and July 15th.
We anticipate that ASSET will be in high demand and our priority is to ensure that travel grants can help us broaden participation of the historically underrepresented community in the conference. In particular, our primary goal is to provide opportunities to students who have never attended a top-tier research conference before and are from underrepresented universities and communities.
We highly encourage participation from local universities as well as any institution within South American region.
Every student participant selected for ASSET will be provided a special scholarship, courtesy of ACM SIGMOBILE, to attend.
What is covered:
- 5 nights stay at a UbiComp/ISWC 2023 conference hotel
- Double sharing single-sex rooms most likely
- All food and beverages provide by the conference will be included
- All conference and workshop fees for UbiComp/ISWC 2023. This allows entry to both workshop days and the entire conference and all events
- There will also be a transportation allowance provided. The exact amount will be announced later
- The total value of the support provided to each student is slightly more than USD $1,000
What is not covered:
Any other costs that are not included as part of the conference package
Rajesh Krishna Balan, Singapore Management University, email@example.com