UbiComp / ISWC 2023
Call for Student Volunteers
Application Deadlines: April 15 & June 1, 2023
UbiComp/ISWC 2023 Student Volunteer (SV) applications are now open!
Student volunteers are an essential part of making the UbiComp/ISWC conference possible. We are looking for proactive and enthusiastic SVs to help ensure a smooth and successful UbiComp/ISWC 2023.
As an SV, you will be involved in various support tasks such as helping attendees, assisting speakers, facilitating organizers, providing information or directions, and generally being a point of contact for all conference attendees. This year, the conference will be held at the Cancun Convention Center in Cancun, Mexico.
As acknowledgment of the time and energy put in as an SV, we provide several benefits including (but not limited to) the following:
- Free conference registration
- Paid Hotel Accommodation
- Food and drink during the conference
- An exclusive SV t-shirt (and more…)
- Invitations to SV-only events
- Unique opportunities to meet and network with members of the community
- A “Thank You” memorable SV Party
Acting as an SV you are expected to honor several responsibilities:
- You are required to work at least 20 hours over the course of the conference (before, during, and/or after)
- You are required to attend at least one of the two Online SV orientations (~2 weeks before the Conference)
- You are required to attend the Pre-Conference SV orientation (Oct 7, 2023) before the start of the conference OR the Main SV Orientation (Oct 9, 2023) when pre-conference activities will be happening.
- We expect you to be present for the entire duration of the main conference (Oct 10-12, 2023) to ensure a successful time-scheduling, address unforeseen tasks, as well as opportunities to take on additional SV responsibilities
Student volunteers take on a variety of tasks during the conference, some very simple (bringing water bottles to presenters), some more complex (help to set up exhibits). While we are planning to engage SVs with a broad set of tasks, we are also looking for students with experience in assisting people with accessibility needs, can provide language support (specifically Spanish) and/ or come from a diverse cultural, religious background to support attendees who have similar backgrounds. This opportunity is open to all students working in areas covered by UbiComp/ISWC 2023 and while previous experience is a plus, it is not a requirement – all necessary instruction and training will be provided.
Don’t miss the opportunity to join this great team!
How do I apply?
To apply to become an SV, please complete the application form available here
We are conducting a rolling application so please take note of the deadlines below:
Application Deadlines: April 15, 2023 & Jun 1, 2023
Notifications Expected: May 2023 & July 2023
Note: While travel expenses are NOT included in the benefits, you can apply for travel grants, such as the Gary Marsden Fund, or similar grants through your University. More information about UbiComp/ISWC travel grants will be posted on the conference website.
If you have any questions or inquiries, please email email@example.com
April 15, 2023 & Jun 1, 2023
May 2023 & July 2023