AttendingISWC/UbiComp London 2019
The UbiComp 2019 / ISWC 2019 workshops and main conferences will be held from 9th September 2019 to 13th September 2019 at the Queen Elizabeth II Centre (QEII Centre) in London, UK.
London is a large, vibrant city and there is lots to see, eat and do. If this is your first visit, you might want to add on a day or two to tick off the large number of sights and experiences.
Things to know
- Local currency is British Pounds (GBP). Contactless payments by card or phone are universal.
- September is usually a great time to visit: the weather is typically lovely, the kids are back in school, and the signs of autumn are just creeping in. The average high/low temperatures for sept are 20C/13C and normally there’s more sun than cloud. Pack for warm and cool weather. Rain is always a possibility in the UK, so an umbrella is handy. Nearer September we’ll update this on the basis of the forecast.
- London is generally very safe. Usual personal safety rules apply, but you are unlikely to be concerned for your safety as in some other cities. Guns are prohibited. As with all cities, pickpockets operate so don’t make it easy for them!
- In restaurants, tipping is optional but 10% is normal for a table-waited restaurant. It’s rare to give more, and leaving less or nothing if you feel there was poor service is acceptable. Large groups often have a tip added automatically to the bill.
- Sales tax (“VAT”) is already applied to items. The price you see is the price you pay (and bartering is unlikely to get you anywhere BTW).
- Many of the museums (including famous ones) have free entry. They often ask for a donation at the door, and some specific exhibits/galleries require you to buy a ticket.
- The tap water is fine to drink.