Local Venue is the Newport Beach Marriot Hotel: Updated 7
Exterior of Marriot
Room at the Marriot
The primary venue for UBICOMP 2006 will be the Newport Beach Marriot Hotel & Spa. This hotel is located about 10 minutes from the University of California at Irvine (UCI) campus.
- The rooms at this hotel are reserved at the rate of $129.00/night. The hotel should honor that rate for any UBICOMP attendees from
9/14 - 9/24(9/15 is now full) 9/16-9/24, space permitting.
- Note: this low rate is guaranteed only until August 28. Please make your reservation before then, or you may be charged the standard hotel rate.
- No hotel meals are included in this rate. (There is some food associated with the conference however)
- Parking is not included in this rate. Parking is $16.00-$22.00 a night. All conference event transportation is being provided, including the shuttle to/from John Wayne airport. So as long as you can get to the hotel initially, a car is not strictly necessary.
- Internet access is not included in the rate. Wired access in the rooms and wireless access in public spaces is $10.00/day. The conference areas will have wireless internet available for free during the conference.
- To make a reservation by phone call 1-949-640-4000 or 1-800-228-9290:
Two important points:
- Make sure you are making a reservation at the NEWPORT BEACH HOTEL & SPA in Newport Beach, California, USA. You will probably be routed to a national booking service that doesn't know the local area. There are other Marriot hotels in the area so the name is important.
- Use the code "UCI UBICOMP" (recommended by hotel) or "UBICOMP 2006" (worked in practice) to get the conference rate. The customer service people have trouble with both names, so spell them out for them if there is any confusion. Also, when using this booking code, you *are* making a reservation under a specially negotiated price. If it helps, the contract is associated with the "UCI UBICOMP" code and it is a "business" contract.
- To make an online reservation follow this link (online registration) which will automatically insert the online registration code "ubiubia" for you.
An alternate possibility is to use the website Hotwire to find a hotel room in the area. This is public-commercial service, not specifically contracted to UBICOMP. Hotwire is generally a cheap alternative, but you do not know the specific hotel until after you have committed to using it. I recommend looking near zip code 92697, in areas labelled, "Costa Mesa - Irvine Area" and "Newport Beach - Huntington Beach". I also recommend only using hotels 3 stars and higher. Finally if you use this option you will also need a rental car to get around.
Another alternative is the Atrium Hotel. UBICOMP has not negotiated a deal with them, but they are frequently used by guests to UCI.